Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hustlin' & Bustlin' in Roma

This past weekend I took the trip I've been anticipating so much to Rome.  In those 3 days I've spent there, I learned that some of it was what I had imagined, and some things weren't.  Rome was MUCH larger and busier than Brescia, and more crowded.  It was also as hot as Florida so I had to wear sunblock frequently.  As I had hoped, I had the opportunity to visit the historical sites I wanted, plus some others. 

On Friday after arriving, freshening up, and some lunch, Sara and I walked around the streets of the Spagna district of Rome.  I passed by and visited some shops and bought some nice things.  Then we stopped by the Spanish Steps where some of the other girls were for some pictures.  We then walked by and took pictures of some ancient ruins including the Piaza Di Spagna, the Piazza di Popallo, the Piazza Venezia, the Altare' Della Patria, and the Fori Imperiarli.  Save for the fact I almost lost my camera forever when it slipped out of my hands without knowing it, but then some kind tourists found it and returned it to me.  I was very fortunate or my trip would have been thrown way off and I would have been bummed out the rest of the time.

After walking some more Sara and I came to the Fontana di Trevi fountain!  It was really big and lots of people were around it.  The water looked so clear and cool, too bad no one's allowed to touch it.




Later I tasted a delicious pastry called a pasta frolla for the first time.  It was a little tart with chocolate filling on top. MM-mm!!  Later that evening, my feet were very sore and blistered from walking so Sara and I took a rest on the Spanish Steps. I noticed that the streets of Rome were very busy at night as well as day, very much like New York city.

On Saturday I toured the Vatican!  Since Sara and I booked in advance, we didn't have to stand in line.  Good thing, because as we walked, the line for the Vatican museum stretched blocks and blocks down!  Before it was time for our tour we hung out in St. Peter's square which was magnificent in structures and statues. 

 
When our tour began, Sara and I joined a group and we first walked through the courtyard which was big with magnificent scultpures around.   


Even before entering the main section of the museum I was astonished!  Outside around me were beautuful sculptures and inside were sculptures of animals and people, and detailed tapestries and paintings on the walls and the ceilings!  Just as my mother told me before I came, I would definitely feel like a tiny man in comparison to the Vatican's art, and I did.  The only disappointing part of the tour was that we were not allowed to take photos in the Cistine Chapel, and I was not aware of that rule until I was stopped by one of the guards for trying to take photos.

                                                        

After the Vatican tour I was very tired from walking all day, but I wanted to see more.  Soon, Sara and I managed to find the Jewish quarters of Rome!  I've wanted to see it since my parents recommended it.  Sara told me it was known as "The Ghetto."  It was a small, quiet area, with synagogues and a Jewish museum and kosher cafe's, though many of them were closed so I could not enter.
After visiting The Ghetto, my day ended with a nice dinner with Sara at a nice resteraunt by the hotel.  The manager there was very friendly and obviously used to seeing American tourists because he asked me where I was from, and spoke to a few boys who were from New York.  

On Sunday, my last day in Rome, I first had a tour of the Colloseum.  It was a fun tour, but very short.  After awhile we were free to tour on our own.  It was also extremely humid, so much so that despite my sunblock I got a little burned.  
After the tour Sara and I had a nice lunch at a local restaurant and then went to the hotel to get our stuff.  We walked around the shops at the train station.  Prior, this weekend was the first time in my life I took the subway so many times at once, and it was extremely crowded with a lot of pushing and shoving.  We walked around and looked in stores and even looked in an old church nearby.  

   
While walking I noticed how different the train stations in Italy are from those in America.  Here, with all our walking and aching feet, the only places to rest were the cafe's.  After getting on the train to go back to Brescia, I was sweaty and tired, but I was glad to be back.  I had a good time in Rome, but it's busy streets and all the hustle and bustle was a bit too much for me to handle and wore me out.  Great weekend in Roma! 
-Gabrielle

1 comment:

  1. Gabrielle I really enjoyed all your wonderful observations of the great places you have visited. I am jealous (LOL) and wish Pete and I could go to Italy one day. You family cannot wait to see you...There will be open arms for sure! xoxo

    ReplyDelete