Monday, June 14, 2010

Venice, Milan, & Amusement Parks, Oh My!

This weekend, unlike the last two, was one in which I took several day trips rather than staying in one city for three days straight.  Each day with each trip was exciting and nothing short of amazing. 

Friday I went with Sara to Venice.  I had been anticipating Venice all the weeks I have been in Italy and needless to say I was thrilled to be there! Venice was everything I had imagined.  Lots of nice buildings and water canals flowing all around.  There were mototrboats for all purposes in Venice, from ambulance boats, to police boats, to taxi boats, to ferries.   



The famous bridges in Venice were magnificent and well preserved since I realize they have been around a very long time.

After walking around one of Venice's aquares and passing the shops, Sara and I ate lunch at a nice restaurant.  That was when I got the chance to eat some of Venice's famous seafood.  Sara and I ate some fried seafood which was among the best I have ever eaten!  In addition, the resteraunt's atmoshere was nice, and there was even a live band that performed which was a real treat! 

After lunch Sara and I did some shopping at the stands in San Marco square.  I was amazed to find some beautiful authentic Venetian masks for good prices at the stands.  I love them very much.  Afterwards, we had the chance to go on a gondola ride!  We rode in a nice gondola with embroidered seats.  A few times the gondola tipped to the side, and Sara was a bit nervous, but I knew the gondoliers knew what they were doing.  The ride was enjoyable and I was able to see parts of Venice I was unable to while walking. 

After the ride Sara and I walked around San Marco square some more and shopped some more.  I noticed that Venice's corners and stone pavements were the narrowest I have ever walked through.  Sometimes they were hard to walk through since many people tried to go through at once.  After a few more hours Sara and I took the ferry to the station and back to Brescia.  I loved Venice because it was a unique and quite magical city with beautiful landmarks and water canals that provide a comforting feeling of being by the sea, similar to that of Florida. 

On Saturday Sara and I went to an amusement park by the lake called Gardaland.  Sara told me it was the largest amusement park in all of Europe, but it was a lot smaller compared to Dorney Park and Six Flags.  But it was an amazing theme park with lots of fun rides.  We went on water rides, roller coasters, even 4D rides which were amazing!  This was the first time in quite a few years I've been to an amusement park, and it felt wonderful to be at one again.

 

On sunday Sara and I visit Milan.  It was a nice city, but not as exciting as the other Italian cities I visited.  I walked through the domed square where all the fancy resteraunts and shops were which was breathtakingluy extravagant!  I have never seen such a beautiful domed square in my life before.  I tried to go inside the duomo church but was denied access because I was not properly dressed which was a disappointment.  But that just gave me an opportunity to explore other areas, including the theater and the Palace courtyard. 

After some sightseeing, Sara and I ate lunch at a  nice cafe.  I ate some delicious pizza and tried some fried veggies and fried rice and veggie-filled balls which were divine!  Afterwards Sara and I just walked around and left for Brescia.  I enjoyed this past weekend very much because I had the opportunity to explore and experience different cities and sites.  I am really tired from all the walking but I loved every minute of it.  I am loving my experience in Italy all the more. 
-Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment